Red Bull adviser Helmut Marko has revealed that fan favourite Daniel Ricciardo made a secret visit to the F1 paddock this month.
However, the 81-year-old quickly moved to squash rumours that the ‘Honey Badger’ was considered an option to replace Liam Lawson.


Ricciardo, who ironically was chucked from Red Bull’s sister team for Lawson in September, remains a hugely popular figure in motorsport.
He was a key figure in the explosion of the Netflix sensation Drive to Survive, which has been credited with helping F1 crack America.
The Australian had seemingly retired after losing his place on the grid for a second time following the 2024 Singapore Grand Prix.
However, Lawson’s woeful performances as Max Verstappen‘s teammate sparked fan speculation of a potential Ricciardo comeback.
Not since 2017 with Ricciardo have Red Bull had a second driver capable of consistently challenging four-time champion Verstappen.
Lawson’s departure after just two grands prix followed Sergio Perez, Alex Albon and Pierre Gasly, now of Williams and Alpine, in all failing to remain on pace with the Dutchman.
Marko claimed Red Bull never considered a Ricciardo comeback, having since announced that Lawson would return to RB, with Yuki Tsunoda promoted from his home race at the Japanese Grand Prix onwards.
Asked if Red Bull thought about bringing Ricciardo back, Marko told the Dutch edition of Motorsport.com: “No, that was never considered.
“Daniel did his last race and has stayed away from Formula 1 since then. He was there briefly in Australia, but I think he was gone again on Thursday.
“This was never an issue.”


Former Red Bull, Renault and McLaren driver Ricciardo had a stand selling his own range of merchandise during his home race at F1’s season-opener at the Australian Grand Prix earlier this month.
He has largely remained out of the spotlight since hanging up his helmet, with the Perth-born star’s last Instagram post coming on December 17.
However, Ricciardo recently broke his social media silence to unveil the launch of a new rosé wine called ‘Enchanté’.
Alongside a video promoting the alcohol, the 35-year-old jokingly commented: “I’ve taken my foot off the gas a bit lately.”
Despite Marko’s latest reveal, Christian Horner told talkSPORT in December that he can see Ricciardo returning to F1 in 2026.
His first stint under Horner between 2014 and 2018 saw him win seven of his eight F1 career races.

And when asked if Ricciardo could make a return with Cadillac as has been suggested, Horner said he wouldn’t be surprised.
“There are rumours,” he told talkSPORT Driving. “I wouldn’t be at all surprised.
“I wouldn’t be at all surprised even if they went for the experience of somebody like Sergio and if he decides he wants to continue his career in Formula 1.”